Monday, March 28, 2022

A wedding

Weddings take different forms. 

Ours, 38 years ago this August, took place in Wife's parents church, with a reception in the church's fellowship hall where wedding cake, punch and coffee were served. We had friends and family there and it was great fun, as were the months leading up to it.

A couple of years ago, a lady who works for me was getting married and she asked me to be their only witness. We went to the county courthouse, and the ceremony was held in a little gazebo on the lawn.  They had written their own vows and it was lovely. It was the happy couple, the officiating pastor and me. She referred to me as her maid of honor! 

And there are millions of other kinds of weddings. In some countries/cultures, the wedding ceremony and celebration might last for days. Some couples elope. Some have a few friends and family. It's all about what you want and what you're comfortable with. 

The end result is the same: two people stand before someone and, if they are people of faith, God, and profess their commitment to each other. At the end of that, they are married. 

Some people don't much like weddings. I rather enjoy them. I am plus or minus on a big party that might coincide with it, but the part I especially like is witnessing two people commit their lives to each other. Because I am a person of faith, I love the spiritual element and how two people become as one -- the mystical union, if you will. 

If there is music involved, I love that too. I especially like a pipe organ or piano, but if it's a guitar or some other instrument, or even recorded music, that's fine too. It's fine, of course, if there is no music at all, but because I love music, I prefer it. 

In just a few days, Younger Son and his fiancé will stand before all of us and commit to each other. It will be a rather large affair, because they want to celebrate with family and friends. Wife and I will host the rehearsal dinner the night before. 

It will be a fun and joyous time, and I am looking forward to it. 

This is the last of our three children to marry, and we are very happy for him. Our soon to be daughter-in-law has become part of the family, and we love her. Wife and I are lucky in that we are three-for-three in the in-law department. 

Man, does life go fast or what?! Wasn't this little guy just born a few months, or at most a few years, ago? That little caboose on the end of our family's train that is still, to this day, the comic relief in our family? He's old enough to be married????

Plenty old, in fact. He'll turn 30 in October of this year. 

Congratulations to him. 



10 comments:

Kelly said...

Congratulations, I didn't realize the time was already here! As you know, we've had some interesting weddings in my family and that's what's made them tolerable for me (who eloped), but to each their own. I wish the happy couple all the best for the future and hope you enjoy every minute of the celebration!!

Bob said...

Thanks, Kelly, and as I said, they all have the same end result and that’s what’s important.

Jeff said...

Congratulations to your son and future daughter-in-law. That said, I don't get overly excited about weddings and I've been to more than my share. Before seminary, I often did photography at a wedding... And since, I have found myself being the refugee between the mothers of the bride and groom... Oh, the tales I could tell.

Bob said...

I’m sure you could, Jeff. Thanks!

Ed said...

Congratulations all around!

I must be somewhat like you on weddings. My favorite weddings are the stripped down affairs where it is two people committing their lives to each other. I really don’t care for the huge elaborate affairs with lots of pageantry.

Bob said...

Thanks, Ed, and really I can go either way. And my son’s upcoming wedding will be on the large side. My point was, it’s still about a couple of people joining their lives, and it’s significant, no matter how big or small the event may be.

Andrew said...

Wonderful! :)

Debby said...

Congratulations. How things have changed in the years that I've 'known' you and your blog. I remember once that you longed for little monkeys to jump on the bed. Now you've got 5. I've got two and another on the way. I've been pretty fortunate in the in-laws as well.

We are well and truly blessed, aren't we?

Enjoy the wedding and all the hoopla that goes along with it.

Bob said...

Thanks, Andrew and Debby and yes, it is wonderful. And you're right, Debby, a lot of water under the proverbial bridge since I started writing this blog nearly 14 years ago. I only feel about, oh, ten years older!

Becki said...

Congrats on the marriage of your last child, Bob, and bringing on board a new daughter-in-law. I imagine (for myself) that last thing will be the most exiting thing if we're eventually blessed to be in your shoes. I hope it was a sweet day for attendees as well as the happy couple. ❤