Monday, April 25, 2022

Plugging along

And just like that it's the last week in April. In a few days the wedding, the event of which I wrote in my last post, will be a month behind us. 

It was a wonderful event, with Younger Son beaming with joy. Our hearts were full, and we were thrilled to have friends and family celebrate with us. We are delighted to have a new daughter-in-law. 

Four of my five grandchildren were in the wedding (the two-month-old sat it out - ha). We had speculated for months as to how they would do, if there would be meltdowns, etc. Well, in addition to being adorable, they were perfect! They marched right down the aisle on cue and uttered not a peep. 

It was decided they would not stand with the wedding party through the ceremony, but two of them sat through it (again, perfectly still and quiet) while two elected to go with grandparents (not us!) on hand to assist, hanging out in a back room. It could not have gone more smoothly. 

Wife and I stayed in Birmingham (site of the wedding) another night, which proved to be a good thing. We didn't have to get up and pack Sunday morning after the event and had time to spend with folks that morning before they left. We took a long walk in the afternoon before having a leisurely dinner that evening.  

From there we spent a couple days with friends at their lake house and came back home mid-week. It was nice to have a little diversion before easing back into daily life. 

*****************************

Wife has been gone a few days, leaving me to my own devices. 

I always choose the times of her absences to get caught up with chores around the house. The list is a long one and I will not have accomplished everything by the time she returns (being gone one week), but I will have made a dent in said list. 

It was a beautiful weekend, so neighbors were in their yards. I had occasion to visit with those on either side of me, learning the couple on the north side has a contract to sell their house. They never even put it on the market.

I almost fainted when Mr. Neighbor told me what they are getting for it, and when I talked to Wife later, I told her maybe it's time to sell. This seller's market won't last forever and look at what a chunk of change we could get, I told her.

Yes, of course, she said, before asking where I would suggest we would go if we were we to sell. If we're staying around here, we are going to buy into the same market into which we would supposedly sell at a premium. 

So, there's that. And I suppose we're staying put. And I guess, with my investments not doing so great these days, the value of the house is helping the personal balance sheet. 

After a trip to the hardware store Saturday morning, visiting with the neighbors and chipping away at the to-do list, I made a late afternoon visit to my favorite craft brewery, with Kindle in hand. I am in the middle of "The Godfather" and decided a crisp, draft beer would go splendidly with an hour or so of reading. And I was right. 

I have also watched some baseball and Netflix while Wife has been gone. I have an independent streak, and I do fine while she is gone, but I do look forward to her return in a couple of days. 

Of course, I still have my day job to fill my weekdays. I am ever more thankful for that, keeping me in a routine of sorts. Although I am sure, if I were retired, I would enjoy the additional time I would have for reading and other hobbies, and although I suppose I would be more productive on the home front (with a shorter to-list, perhaps!), I still very much like the rhythm of my job. 

So I'll keep at it for now. And I'll work on that to-do list as I can. 





9 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

You sound a very well-organised chap to me. The housing market is quite scary here in the UK but as you rightly say - what's the point in selling if you have to buy somewhere else?

Debby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debby said...

Don't you work from home? You could move someplace less pricey. I do believe the house prices will have to fall. Can you believe that a house we bought less than a year and a half ago for $65,000 appraised for $107,000 last week. Talk about nearly fainting...

I am so glad the wedding went so well. Congratulations to everyone!

Ed said...

My wife often comments about selling our house if we got such and such price. It always scares me after having spent two years looking for a house when it was a buyers market and spending the last 10 years fixing this place up. Fortunately, she never acts on her impulses when it involves large amounts of money.

Ellen D. said...

The houses around me keep going up in price also but where would I move? I like having the space for my children to visit and gather for parties. I haven't seen a place that I would love to move to so I will stay put for now. I really can't stand the thought of trying to clean all of the stuff out of my house either!

Kelly said...

While I wouldn't mind having a smaller house, I know we'll never move. We like where we live too much.

Always good to see a catch-up post like this. Hope you're enjoying The Godfather! I was surprised by how much I liked it.

Jeff said...

Sounds like you had a good trip and wedding and are getting a lot done.

Becki said...

How could grandchildren be anything other than perfectly adorable? Or adorably perfect. ;) Glad to read a bit more on the wedding.

Had hubs and I not been in exactly the kind of house no one wants to grow old in (a tri- or split-level with full bathrooms on the top floor) we probably wouldn't have bought and sold last year. While we bought a larger property than we imagined we would when we started looking, and it's tempting to second guess our choice when something needs fixing, ultimately we're glad we're here and not there as we look to whatever the future holds. That said, it's very true that buying (and in some ways selling) in this market is not for the faint of heart. ;^)

Andrew said...

Good call on the brewery.