Friday, March 4, 2022

Lent 2022


For nearly all my adult life, I have been part of a non-denominational church. 

Although over time we have "warmed up" to liturgy, we do not observe the church or liturgical calendar. 

I grew up Methodist, and I would say we were middle of the road as to following the liturgical calendar. I vaguely remember learning about the different church seasons when I went through confirmation but to this day, I could not name them all. 

It seems Advent, the season leading up to Christmas, and Lent, the season leading to Easter, are the most well-known. 

I still love the season of Lent and usually try each year to go through a Lenten devotional. This year's is a splendid little book simply titled "Prayer: Forty Days of Practice."

Although it's not specifically written for Lent, it lends itself well to it since it's 40 days. 

The authors are Justin McRoberts and Scott Erickson, of whom I had never heard until the book was given to me as a Christmas gift. To give you an idea of the book's rhythm, I'll quote from the back cover:

" 'Prayer: Forty Days of Practice' invites you to pray in more authentic and untethered ways. These prayers and images, along with contemplative reflections and suggested practices, are designed to stir and clarify what God is doing in you, which is the heart of prayer." 

The prayer for each day is brief and written in what is called the "jussive mood." I had also never heard of this until I started this book. The prayer for Day 1 is, "May love be stronger in me than the fear of the pain that comes from caring." 

Apparently, the jussive mood is what is used in the Genesis creation account in which God speaks things into being by saying, "Let there be . . . " 

According to introductory narrative in the book, "Praying 'May I . . . ' is a way to enter into the work God is already doing in, around, and through us, according to His will and design."

Woven throughout are six different meditations that serve as transitions among the book's sections, with narratives on spiritual practices such as journaling and fasting. 

There are also sketches -- or "contemplative imagery" -- drawn by Erickson, an accomplished artist. 

As you can see, there is a lot here, and my descriptions hardly do it justice. I think it is just the right Lenten devotional for me this year. 

 

4 comments:

Kelly said...

This sounds like a book that would interest me very much. I enjoy using "guides" during Lent and Advent and sometimes use two! (just because I find so many good ones!)

I love liturgical worship.

Jeff said...

I'm not reading a specific "lent" book this year, but I have often done so (now I am trying to learn more about Ukraine and am reading Anne Applebaum's "Red Famine"). Last year I read Sarah Arthur's "Between Midnight and Dawn: A Literary Guide to Lent, Holy Week and Easter." I picked it up because a friend had several poems in the book, but I really like her weaving of various genres for each week of the seasons.

Rajani Rehana said...

Super blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post