Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Peace and freedom

 When I was in elementary school, I assumed I would eventually be drafted into the military and would go to Vietnam.

In our school we had a music teacher, of all people, who would get all the guys worked up over it. She told us there were people watching us in public places (like athletic events) when the pledge of allegiance was said or the national anthem was sung, and if we didn’t stand straight with hands over hearts on such occasions, they would make sure we were on the front lines of combat.

I don’t know where she got her information, who those people were supposed to have been or why they would have wanted seemingly disinterested speakers and singers fighting out front. But I took her admonition to heart and stood straight when the pledge was said or anthem sung, in hopes of having a desk job should I ever have to make that trip to Vietnam.

Imagine my relief when I was in junior high school and the Vietnam war ended. By the time I graduated from high school and went to college, I no longer worried about having to go.

Not that I would have shirked my duty if called upon. But from what I had seen and read about Vietnam at the time, it was not a place I wanted to visit. So yes, I was relieved when I learned I probably would not have to go.

I would transition into my adult life without thinking much about war, as we enjoyed a time of peace post-Vietnam. Even the Cold War eventually ended with the fall of the Iron Curtain.

Then came Desert Shield and Desert Storm in the 90s, and the eventual “war on terrorism” after the World Trade Center attacks on September 11, 2001. With the perpetual military action in Afghanistan (until the recent withdrawal) and all that has happened with Iran and Iraq, it seems there has been something going on “over there” for 30-ish years.

That “over there” refers to the Middle East and it seems there is always some conflict, whether the U.S. is directly involved or not.

But since the end of the Cold War and with the cordial relationship among North American and European allies, the European area has been mostly peaceful. Although the worth of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) created in 1949 has been debated from time to time, it has provided a sense of security to the U.S., Canada and European countries.

And you know where I am going with this. The “over there” where fighting is now taking place seems a little closer and makes us more uncomfortable as Russian President Vladimir Putin directs the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

We have hoped and prayed for months it would not happen. In the February 20th edition of his newsletter “The French Press” (part of The Dispatch news site), David French of Franklin said he was recently asked, “What are you specifically praying for today?”

His immediate answer was, “I’m praying that God turns Vladimir Putin’s heart from war.” I can’t think of a more appropriate prayer.

Although horrified by it, we should not be surprised by Putin’s actions.

A few years ago, I read John McCain’s book “The Restless Wave: Good Times, Just Causes, Great Fights, and Other Appreciations.”

He wrote it when he knew he was likely dying of cancer, saying he had a few more things to say to Americans. It’s a great retrospective on his political life, particularly his time in the Senate and his unsuccessful run for the presidency in 2008.

He also spent some time lambasting Vladimir Putin and warning readers what he was capable of. He was as direct as he could possibly have been, pointedly writing, “Putin’s goal isn’t to defeat a candidate or a party. He means to defeat the West.”

I admit to a chill going down my spine when I re-read those words with the knowledge of what is happening today.

And I would love to think McCain was wrong (although I’m hardly naïve enough to believe he was).

President Biden has joined European leaders in imposing harsh sanctions against Russia, attempting to essentially cripple the economy there. We will experience inevitable repercussions here, with market volatility and even higher gas prices.

Even the most optimistic of pundits say we are in for a bumpy ride as events unfold, while we continue to pray for peace. (We really need to pray.)

Watching footage of Ukrainians fleeing their homes is heartbreaking. It is all too reminiscent of others doing the same in war-torn parts of Europe less than a century ago, folks like the Ukrainians of today who desire nothing more than freedom – but nothing less, either.

8 comments:

Ed said...

I'm a bit younger than you so I never really knew about war until I was nearly graduated from high school with Desert Storm. Both of my daughters have grown up all their lives and have never known a time when we've been at peace.

While we've been at war in the Middle East, my go to author for guidance has been Richard Engle with his series of books on the subject. I naively thought that Putin was just bluffing up until recently because I couldn't (and possibly still don't) understand what was in it for him in invading Ukraine. Perhaps McCain's book will enlighten me. I have always been intrigued by him and was profoundly sad at his passing. I plan on ordering a copy of it as soon as I'm done typing this. I would like to find someone like Richard Engle who understands Russia/Putin, if there is such a person/book, because I am woefully ignorant on the subject as proven this last week.

Bob said...

Did not know about Engle’s books. Have watched him on NBC for years. He of all people should be an expert. In addition to his distaste for Putin, McCain was sickened by the way the previous president cozied up to him. And no love lost there either. Hope you enjoy the book.

Kelly said...

I'll have to see if my husband is interested in reading the McCain book.

Which elementary school, Bob... surely not the music teacher at HG??

Bob said...

No … remember I moved schools in third grade. You know her, tho. I’ll send you a text.

Jeff said...

I graduated from high school in '75. That was a long spring with concern over what would happen if we went back into SE Asia to "save" South Vietnam and Cambodia. I had always thought I would join the military after high school, but I decided I really didn't want to go into a war that didn't make sense. While the situation turned tragic, I knew by the time I graduated, that we were done fighting in that part of the world. I never joined the military.

Bob said...

We boomers grew up in interesting times, Jeff.

Becki said...

(We really need to pray.) Thank you for the reminder, Bob. Seriously. Watching the events in Ukraine on the nightly news is so surreal. It's easy to look on and be dumbfounded, horrified and grieved. I have prayed, but I can do more.

Bob said...

It’s incredibly important that we pray, Becki, and as we do so, ask God to show us what more we can do. Thank you for that reminder!