Thursday, December 21, 2023

Season's greetings

Season's greetings to all. 

I'm definitely rethinking this blog. My Substack "newsletter," a continuation of the column I wrote for a local publican for 11 years, is my priority right now, so this space does not get as much attention as I might like. 

But since this is the place where I met a handful of friends I like to stay connected with, I want to keep it going. Postings here, for now, will simply be less frequent. 

I hope next week to post about books I read this year -- fiction and non-fiction. I have the list ready, so it should not be difficult to share here. 

I'll also share some pictures from our annual international Christmas. This year's country is Korea, chosen in part due to a comment from a reader here last year who cautioned us against lumping all Asian countries together as we did one year. 

Point well taken, and this year we are focusing on Korean food and decor. Wife and I visited a local Korean restaurant a few weeks ago and we will get most of our food from them, which will certainly make it much easier for preparation. 

So I hope to close out the year strong here. 

Now it's time to get ready for Christmas. Wife and I will go to Daughter's house in Huntsville Christmas Eve. We'll go to church with them and have dinner and will come home Christmas morning after we see what Santa brought our three grands there. 

Younger Son and his wife will join us here late Christmas Day, then everyone else will arrive the 26th. We'll pretend that is Christmas Eve and have our Korean dinner that night, then have our family Christmas on the 27th. 

There are 13 of us, with a new one due in April --Younger Son's first, a boy, and our sixth grand. 

I hope however, wherever and with whomever you are celebrating, it's most enjoyable. Merry Christmas and hope to see you back here soon! 






6 comments:

Becki said...

I look forward to both of the posts, Bob. I tossed the idea of doing an international dinner for Thanksgiving into the hat, but no one took the bait. We ended up doing a taco bar, and it was fun to have everyone in the kitchen working on part of that. Christmas will be closer to traditional, but I'm making a vegetarian lasagna (thanks to Impossible Beef and sausage).

Looking forward to your list of books read this year. I'm not sure if I read a single book this year. I know I started one, but I ended up way too distracted, and too many days of feeling poorly enough that reading wasn't pleasant, and well... at some point I think I just forgot that reading was thing to do. Maybe seeing your list will inspire me.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Ed said...

Korean sounds delightful and I wish you were closer, we could round things up to 17 for you!

Enjoy your Christmas days with your family! Make sure whomever is in charge of the playlist while opening up presents read your Substack piece!

Debby said...

You know, I get your notifications and I can read your writings, but for whatever reason, I've never been able to comment. Write on, old friend.

Kelly said...

As much as I enjoy your substack column, I will miss your posts here. (though to be honest, they're already pretty few and far between!! 😉) I'm glad you're planning to provide us with details on the Korean feast AND your annual book post. Congratulations on the news about grandchild number six!

We're celebrating on the 26th, as well. It's all about getting together, not the actual date.