Saturday, February 3, 2024

Life change



 The title of this post is intentionally misleading, and definitely with tongue planted firmly in cheek. 

What I am writing about is most certainly not life-changing, not in the truest sense of how that term should be taken, something that alters the course of one's life in a permanent or semi-permanent way, whether for good or bad. 

Getting married or having a child? Definitely life-changing and hopefully for good. Sustaining an injury can be life-changing in a not-so-good way.

So, with that out of the way, I will tell you what has happened with yours truly that I have laughingly called life changing. 

I am no longer carrying a wallet. 

Months ago, I noticed a friend whose phone case opened up to reveal his driver's license and a couple of pay cards. I told Wife I might like something like that for Christmas. It's the only thing I asked for and the only thing she got me, and she hit it out of the park. 

If you are a Seinfeld fan, you might remember an episode in which George Castanza catches grief for the thickness of his wallet. Well, I might not have been as bad as George, but until recently one could almost always detect a bulge in my backside from the little leather holder in which I would carry my valuables. 

I have now made the change. If there are any downsides, they are (a) I can't get as much cash in this, but I don't carry much cash these days anyway, so it's not a deal breaker; and (b) I always feel like I'm missing something because I figure I have carried a wallet about 55 years. I find myself reaching for it and, at first, I had some mild nanoseconds of panic thinking I had lost it! 

But so far, I like the new arrangement and it's certainly less to keep up with. That is progress, I suppose. 





4 comments:

Kelly said...

To break a habit of 55 years IS life-changing, Bob! 😂 I've also recently changed how I carry my money/CCs/ID cards, as well. It takes some effort and time to adjust to changes like this!

jinxxxygirl said...

I'm glad you are pleased with it.. I don't like the idea for myself because if i misplace my phone well crap i've lost everything.. Maybe i'm more prone to lay down my phone somewhere and forget it than you are?? I don't like the idea of having everything in one kit and kaboodle like that..

Jeff said...

I was thinking if I didn't carry a wallet, where would I put my receipts, then I thought that you are problem organized enough that you scan them and do away with the paper... I should look to move in such a direction.

Becki said...

Well, that's really interesting, Bob. I had to read the post, then look back at the picture again to understand exactly what I was looking at. I didn't know such a thing existed.

I can totally imagine that nanosecond you think your wallet is missing. lol