Friday, January 19, 2024

Not what we are accustomed to

We have been blanketed with snow here in Middle Tennessee for the past several days, and with temperatures barely rising above freezing for only a few hours, it has largely remained. The photo below was taken out my front door this morning. 

We get snow only occasionally, so it's a big deal. This was a good one, with about six inches of accumulation at our house.

Schools and many businesses close when it snows here. When it is in the forecast, grocery stores are overrun with folks buying provisions as if there will be food shortages and they'll never get out of the house again, with bread and milk being the biggest sellers. I have no empirical data, but I suspect beer and wine don't do too badly either. 

As it so happened, Wife and I flew to Naples, Florida last Friday night to visit friends who are renting a place there for a month, seeing how they might like the snowbird life. We have other friends from here who have bought places in that area (already snowbirds), and we all got together for dinner Saturday and Sunday nights. 

They were saying how lucky they felt to be there when we would be having this Arctic blast in Nashville. 

Me? Not so much. While I enjoyed our trip and being on the beach in January, I was disappointed to miss a good a snowfall. 

We were supposed to fly home Tuesday, but received notice late Monday afternoon our flight had been canceled. Seems the winter storm had a ripple effect at airports across the country. We were rebooked for late Wednesday afternoon. 

Our friends we were visiting were kind and understanding, and since we were staying with them, it did not cost us anything extra. Since I still have my day job, and I did not take my laptop with me, I had to spend some time on the phone during the day Wednesday. 

It was a nice trip, and I am still getting to enjoy the snow. I only missed the anticipation and the fun of watching it fall. 



5 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm over winter, but I fear IT'S not over by any means. We got just over an inch of what was a mix of sleet, freezing rain, and a little snow. It ended up being a thick, solid sheet of ice on all the roads. School, mail, and most other things were shut down all week and the county had to use their road grader to scrape the ice off the highways. I even saw where they had to use it in town to scrape some of the downtown streets so workers could get in the courthouse! It was frustrating to look at the "I Drive Arkansas" map and see that everywhere in the state had clear main roads by Wednesday except the SE quadrant of the state. I'm working myself into a pet, so I better stop...

Ed said...

I have never understood the bread and milk think. I could go a month without either product. If I'm concerned about weather preventing me from getting to the grocery store, I stock up on pasta for the girls.

I'm loving all this snow this winter, but mostly because we were so very dry last year, 18 inches short of moisture. With the snow and the forecasted inches of rain for tomorrow night, we may be getting close to just 12 inches short of moisture. We might have a nice spring garden after all.

Becki said...

Central and southern Indiana missed much of the bad weather of late. I guess we did have some snow and ice a week and a half ago, but with temps forecasted back into the 40's within a week's time, we knew it wasn't going to stay around. We've had a LOT of rain since Christmas. I have a sister in Florida, and while I understand how she enjoys the warm weather, I know the humidity and summer heat would be hard for me to take. I am thankful we are retired and have little reason to go driving on bad roads. It does help us enjoy a pretty snowfall. I like the four distinct seasons we enjoy this far north.

Debby said...

I knew that the south was getting it. How lucky was that to be in sunny Florida when it happened!

Jeff said...

I'm wishing for more snow. We've had several snows, but only an inch or three. I hope you had a great time in Naples. I was in the Okefenokee last week and it was up into the 70s and 80s.