Monday, October 30, 2023

Medical staff

I joke sometimes that I have a staff of physicians. 

In addition to my primary care physician, who we once called a general practitioner or GP, I have a dermatologist; a urologist; two ear-nose-throat (ENT) docs; and a podiatrist. 

Soon I am likely to have a cardiologist, as I have never been to one and think, at my age, I should probably add one to the group. And I will soon be going to see an orthopedic surgeon for him to take a look at my knees. I have two ENTs because I go a couple times a year to one who cleans my ears of wax with this super advanced equipment, and another who has been able to help me with some chronic sinus stuff that plagued me for years. 

There are many advances in modern medicine that work great for me. For instance, my primary care doctor, whose office is affiliated with Vanderbilt University, has an online patient portal where I can see all my records and lab results. I can also make appointments there and, best of all, I can send an email to the office and have it answered by either the doc herself or a nurse on her staff. In almost all cases, I'll get a response in 24 hours, or 48 at most. 

It is not like I send them emails often, but it is a quick and easy way to ask a question about medication or a follow-up question from an appointment. It seems to work efficiently for my doctor as well and is probably easier than trying to field telephone calls and messages.

One negative about my primary care doc's office is they generally don't want me to come if I am sick. Let's say I have cold symptoms or something that seems like the flu, and I call for an appointment. They will refer me to a walk-in clinic in their system. They will say my doc, or any other in the office, only has appointments weeks out and obviously I need immediate attention. 

I guess this doesn't bother me a lot, and I have to accept that the former family-doctor model, at least for the medical system I am a part, is no more. My primary doc is for yearly physicals and "maintenance" (for example, I am going for some follow-up blood work in late November), but I need to see the walk-in folks if I am sick. 

My other docs also have an online presence, but some are not as efficient as that of my primary care doctor. As a matter of fact, the one my podiatrist uses is less than satisfactory, to the point I am considering changing providers in that area. I liked the care I received, but the follow-up communication has been poor.

One positive I have seen in recent years is with appointments. I would say, for most of my doctor appointments, I wait less than 15 minutes on average -- often much less. I understand things happen sometimes. At one of my ENT's offices, I arrived at an appointment a couple years ago, only to be told he had been delayed with an emergency and was running several hours behind. They were apologetic and offered to reschedule me the next day. 

While that was an inconvenience, I appreciated the attitude shown, and that they were quick to get me rescheduled. And with this office, nothing like this has ever happened. So, I gave them grace, and I am still a patient. 

I have learned I must be my own advocate when it comes to healthcare. Each of my doctors sees numerous patients, so I have to remind him/her of my medical history, talk through medications, etc.  Also, I have to keep a close eye on lab results. At my recent physical exam, my primary care doctor was supposed to include PSA in my blood work so I could report that to my urologist, and not have to have it done twice. 

When I reviewed the lab results online, I saw there were no PSA results. I sent an email and learned it had not, in fact, been done. 

I wish I did not have to have such a collection of doctors. They're all nice enough people but going to see them is not how I would choose to spend my time. 

But how fortunate am I to have this group of doctors? I am in relatively good health, and with these fine folks giving me the occasional once-over and providing guidance, I hope to keep it that way.  


4 comments:

Jeff said...

I had my annual physical today and learned my primary care doc is moving. I liked him and sad to hear this, but it sounds like the new doctor who is older will be good. I also have a host of docs, too. One thing I like is tele-doc, which is with my insurance. Twice I have received antibiotics for an infected tick bite with just a 5 minute call and a photo of the infected areas.

Ed said...

I just started seeing a primary doc for an annual physical a few years ago. I probably should have started a decade ago but I think we have caught up on the things that needed tweaking. Unfortunately, I saw him in the grocery store last week and he mentioned off hand that he will be retiring in a couple months. That means I have to start from scratch again with a new one and they are hard to come by out here in rural Iowa.

FWIW, my wife has several thousand patients on her panel so her schedule is nearly fully booked six months out for a new patient which technically, she hasn't been accepting for several years now. Mostly those she lets are in are pulling in favors. If one of her patients needs immediate attention though, if they can wait a day or two, she will try to work them in through regular cancellations or during a block of time she reserves for such things. But if one needs immediate attention, the walk-in clinic is definitely the way to go. She will get all the labs and test results from them the same day where as if you were able to get in and see her, her results might not get seen for a day or two later. It is just how things are prioritized.

I'm glad you take cancellations and waiting in good humor. So many I know fail to realize that doctors are still human and have lives of their own complete with unforeseen things that sometimes require immediate attention.

Kelly said...

I, too, have a group of physicians/nurse practitioners spread out over three cities. Things sure are different from when we were younger!

My doctor brother has always told me that we are our own best advocates for our healthcare. He's also told me that looking things up online is fine, too, as long as I stick with reputable sources.

Debby said...

Although some folks strongly discourage it, I really do think it is sensible to read up on your medical stuff. Very often, you can find ways to deal with things at home. Sometimes it leads you to the right questions. Tim's advice to you would be keep a close eye on that psa. It is strange to think that if he had not had that stroke in January, had his wife not INSISTED he get a new PC, his cancer would not have been found. Advocating for yourself and being informed are the two most important tools in your toolbox.