Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Boycotts

I have never been a big boycotter. 

I find the current boycotts of Bud Light and Target rather humorous. But apparently they are having an impact, and the marketing departments at those companies are relooking at some things. 

While I will not get into whether I agree or disagree with the reasons for these recent boycotts, I respect the rights of folks to spend their money as they see fit, and if they wish to refrain from spending at places they believe don't align with their values, that is certainly their right to do so. 

As for me, I usually don't get too worked up over such things. I'll certainly do my best not to patronize a business or company that is known to be oppressive or is knowingly discriminatory or violative of human rights. 

I am also careful about organizations to which I am asked to make contributions. There is information available online about various charitable groups and how their funds are distributed. You might be surprised to see what percentage of a dollar you give goes toward the work a particular group or organization is supposed to be doing. 

But as far as basic products go, and where I might shop, again, I don't worry too much about it unless I am aware of something that is particularly offensive to me. And even then, it would have to be pretty egregious for me to boycott. 

I don't drink Bud Light, but there are a few bottles in my beer fridge, on hand for the occasional guest who might prefer it. I would (and probably will) buy it again if I have the need to replenish the supply. 

I am not much of a shopper, and my shopping or not shopping at an establishment is not going to affect anyone's bottom line. For certain items like any kind of storage containers, you can't beat Target. I would have to be really offended to not enter one again. 

Companies have long been giving in to the pressure of political correctness. While that might make me roll my eyes, so far it is not causing me to boycott anyone. 



6 comments:

Ed said...

I'm not much of a consumer either so really don't shop a lot and thus have reason to boycott. I have refrained from shopping at Walmart and have only shopped there maybe 3 or 4 times in the last three decades and then only for other people. I did so because of the "Walmart Effect" which has been written about over the years and isn't political. I also refuse to go into a local restaurant or use a local business, both of which treated me badly at some point. The world is full or replacements for both so I am under no illusion that me not using them will do anything other than save me from having to look at them and bring up memories.

I'm pretty hard to get riled up enough to boycott a particular business for their political leanings. Mostly because as a student of history, I know all will be forgotten months later and business will return to them again. Americans have short memories when it comes to those sorts of things.

Bob said...

I understand, Ed. I read The Walmart Effect some time ago. I also refrain from going to local establishments where I have had a bad experience. I tend to be forgiving, however, and eventually go back (but will make myself scarce again if things have not improved).

Kelly said...

If I've heard anything about the Bud Light or Target boycotts, I obviously put it out of my mind. It takes a lot to make me no longer buy a product (or shop a specific store), so I guess these cases didn't bother me. Then again, I never buy Bud Light anyway and we don't have a Target here.

Jeff said...

Like you, it has to be a pretty serious issue for me to boycott something... And Bud Light has never been my beer.

Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post