Saturday, August 28, 2021

COVID update

 I seem to have made it through COVID no worse for the wear, except for some lingering congestion (which is not uncommon for me, as I have chronic sinus stuff) and I still can't smell anything. 

The smell thing is interesting, and I realize how significant it is. I am pretty sensitive to odors and it's really weird how that has left me. A friend suggested smelling herbs. I took a big whiff of fresh basil last night. Nothing.

But things could be much worse. I think the sense of smell will eventually return and I occasionally catch a whiff of something, as if it's trying to break through. 

I feel pretty armed against COVID now, having been fully vaccinated, having the antibodies that come from having had COVID and having had the monoclonal antibody infusion. I think I have a lot of fight in me now! 

But Wife and I are still being careful. We've stopped going to church again, have cut way back on going out to eat and we are wearing masks when we go to the grocery store. If nothing else, I don't want to make others uncomfortable. 

Here where I live, there are battles in the surrounding school districts about masking. I don't get it. I think if I had a child in school who was unvaccinated, I would be all about it. 

But there are still these folks supposedly concerned about their rights. And I'm tired of hearing about it. 




8 comments:

Ellen D. said...

It helps to hear about your recovery. So much disinformation that it is nice to hear about the real thing. Hope you continue to improve. I appreciate you and your wife still being careful. Stay safe and stay healthy!

JayCee said...

I am glad to hear that you have come through your infection relatively unscathed, apart from the sense of smell. Life is slowly creeping on again now.

The Weaver of Grass said...

My neighbour has had no sense of smell for about a year. Her doctor assures her it will return. She is fully vaccinated.

Kelly said...

It seems we've had a very similar experience, Bob. What were the odds?!

Debby said...

I read a blog post of a woman who has n[t had a sense of smell for years. After a year of consistent mask weari.g, she was pleased to find that she can smell.

Susan said...

A friend and nurse living in my community has decided to home school her 2 young children because the hospital she works in part time is full of people with covid and our schools in the northeast start after labor day.

Ed said...

Back when I had Covid, I lost my sense of smell for about three months before it came back. It was a long time to be without smell in my opinion. It finally came back as I was driving by a huge cattle lot out west on vacation... of all places to come back. It could have returned in a bakery!

For me, just the thought of losing my taste and smell a second time is reason enough to be vaccinated and wear a mask. I wouldn't wish not having smell on anyone.

Andrew said...

Glad you are feeling better good sir!