Saturday, July 24, 2021

Colorado 2021


 It really was a grand summer vacation with the family. 

With four little ones, it was not what one would call relaxing, but we knew that going in. 

With 12 humans, four of which are four and under, going out to eat with everyone was not going to happen. So, except for "sibling night," when Wife and I kept the grands and let the young adults go out, we all ate in every night, and everyone was assigned a night to cook. 

It worked out beautifully. The respective chefs were creative and resourceful, and we had some delicious meals. 

There were various hikes, a viewing of Breckenridge's July 4th parade, a lot of hanging out on the back porch where there was a wonderful view, and various side trips taken by different members of the group. My favorite day was Wednesday, when Daughter and her family, Younger Son, FDIL and I made a drive over to Rocky Mountain National Park, one of the prettiest places in the world and where I worked the summers of 1980 and '81. 

(As Wife has said, I never really got over it. And I'm afraid she is right). 

The guys and I went fishing on Thursday, which was not nearly as successful as our excursion on the same lake in 2018. That was also the day there were two Emergency Room visits, so that might have also put a damper on things. But a day, or half-day, on a lake in Colorado is still a good day. 

It was warmer in the mountains than I have ever been, although still glorious compared to our southern summers. Highs during the day crept up into the high 70s (I know, cry me a river), but there was virtually no humidity, so we could hardly have described it as hot. I don't know if this is the result of the western heat wave, global warning, or what, but I hope it was a fluke and not a trend. 

Wife and I have a trip to Maui planned for early October, just the two of us. She's determined we will return to pre-COVID travel, and she will take me with her when I'm available. For now it's back to work. 

(Attached pic if of the grands July 4th). 



7 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Sounds like a nice memorable family holiday.

Kelly said...

What a precious photo of the little ones! Did your wife make the matching outfits?

Uppers 70s with no humidity. Hmmmm. I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

Bob said...

No, Kelly, my wife is no seamstress! I think the moms coordinated the outfits!

Ed said...

When my family had our get togethers, we took turns cooking and I always enjoyed those meals. Not only were we free to be as noisy, messy, slow, as we wanted without offending other patrons, but like you alluded too, we learned some new recipes from the other families. It was always one of my favorite parts of our trips.

Debby said...

You have quite an adorable crop of grands, Bob! It sounds like a good time was had by all...except for the folks who ended up in the ER!

I think eating in and taking turns cooking was perfect!

Jeff said...

Sounds like a wonderful get-a-way. It never seems to be as cool as it should. It was hot and smokey much of the two weeks I was up north.

gf3545 said...

Amazing article essay typer Quebec