Thursday, April 12, 2012

Still magical

As I wrote in my last installment, Wife and I spent a couple of days at Walt Disney World on the end of our recent Florida vacation. We had spent the first part of the week going to spring training baseball games.

I love Disney World. I am not a big theme park guy but I love Disney. Wife and I went there in 1985, the year after we married, and we took family trips with two of our three in 1995, then the whole crew in 2000.  In 2007, when I took Younger Son and three of his friends to spring training, we spent a day there. In '08, when Wife, Younger Son and I went again to spring training, we spent another day.

Of course if you want to "do" Disney World, you can't possibly do it all in a day, or even two. But no matter how much time you have, if you're in the Orlando area, you can hit a few high points.

Walt Disney World is huge, consisting of a total of four theme parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom), water parks, hotels, a big shopping complex called Downtown Disney, a sports complex, and probably more that I don't even know about.

It is a totally different experience going to WDW as two adults. We could definitely be a lot more spontaneous and flexible, just taking things as they came. We made it to all parks except The Magic Kingdom.  We were headed over there but it started raining so we opted out.

We definitely got our money's worth at the other parks, though. We spent a lot of time reminiscing about our family trips there.  My rule was that we would not take a child until he/she was seven. I have no regrets about that decision. I have watched people at Disney World with babies in their arms and in strollers and they do not look happy. Babies in Mickey Mouse's lap will never remember it.

Wife and I rode one roller coaster, a new one at Animal Kingdom that has a Mount Everest theme. We were foolish to do that as our bodies no longer handle fast rides well, especially if they go backwards. We were both green when we got off. We talked ourselves out of being sick but we could have been. I think we learned our lesson.

It's still a very magical place, though, and there is always something new. Can't wait to go back. 


2 comments:

Steve H. said...

Bob,

We were just at Hong Kong Disneyland again last night. This is the first time we took a shuttle over to the main hotel made to look like a huge turn of the century manor (turn of the previous century :) It's gorgeous...and then we walked to the theme park (which is much smaller...but growing :)

Would love to visit Florida Disneyworld. Visited it with my wife's family back in 2000 and did all 4 parks...

Debby said...

I haven't been since 1998. I've always wanted to go back, with all the grown up kids. Maybe we'll have a big celebration for our 25th wedding anniversary, drag everyone along.