Thursday, August 13, 2026

Consider the hummingbird

I wanted to include a picture with this post, but my subject is elusive. 

That would be any of the hummingbirds that feast at my feeder, hung outside at the top a large picture window in our kitchen. 

When a hummingbird positions his/herself there, I simply cannot get in place quickly enough to get a shot. So, use your imagination. 

Here is the part of providing hummingbirds with nectar I find most baffling: their unwillingness to share. 

There are four spickets on my hummingbird feeder, with plenty of room for that many to feast simultaneously. 

But no. When one has decided to have a meal, and another one shows up, the new one gets chased away. 

Every. Time. 

If only I could teach them the joys of breaking bread (or sucking juice) together, I think they could have a change of heart. But no. The first one to the feeder decides he owns it, and woe to those who might dare try to perch alongside him. (Or her. I can't tell the difference between male and female hummingbirds.)

Some of my grandchildren were in town over the weekend and I decided to use the hummingbird feeder as a teaching tool. I showed it to them, explaining what I have just written here, and lamenting the lack of sharing that takes place in the hummingbird community. 

They enjoyed watching for a few minutes but were soon on to other things. 

Somehow, I hope the lesson about sharing, and how unattractive it is to be selfish, sunk in. 

 




5 comments:

Kelly said...

I'd be willing to bet the lesson sunk in more than you think.

I've found there are lots of mean (and downright vicious) birds out there, especially at feeders!

Kelly said...

Perhaps that should be "sank" in?!

Ed said...

We have a hummingbird feeder situated in just about the same vantage point as yours. My experience of trying to photograph them and seeing their unwillingness to share has also been identical. Unlike sparrows who will mob a feeder until it is gone, hummingbirds seem to take what they need and just leave, perhaps coming back the next day. Ours lasts a long time between refills.

Debby said...

Hummingbirds are amazingly feisty for such tiny birds!

Jeff said...

Somewhere, in the pre digital days, I took rolls of slides of hummingbirds, using a strobe (flash) to stop their wings.