Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Fun facts awaiting the birth of grand #6

My youngest, sometimes referred to in this space as "Younger Son" will become a father in a couple of days. 

This will be his first, and our sixth grand. Once it started happening nearly seven years ago, there has been steady growth for our family. 

This one will be a boy, making a total of four grandsons and two granddaughters for Wife and me. 

My side of the family is heavy on boys. My parents had two boys (my late older brother and me). My brother and his wife had three boys, who had a total of five boys. I have two sons and, as of this Thursday, four grandsons. 

So, from my parents' union, there have been 16 boys (my brother, his three boys and their five boys) and three girls (my daughter and two granddaughters). 

Who knows why that happens, whether it's strange happenstance or some scientific reason for the tendency to produce male offspring? 

My newest grandson is breech, and not inclined to turn, so he will arrive by C-section this Thursday morning, April 18th. Wife and I will drive down to Birmingham, where the expectant parents live, tomorrow (the 17th) and be there for the arrival Thursday morning.  

He will have my middle name, which is the middle name of his father (Younger Son), his grandfather (me), his great-grandfather (my father) and his great-great grandfather (my grandfather). I never particularly cared for the name as I was growing up, but it eventually grew on me, and I am honored that Younger Son wants to have it continue. 

The Psalmist wrote "children are a gift of the Lord" and "How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them." 

Here is one blessed man who could not be happier to add to the quiver. 

Check back later this week for an update! 



6 comments:

Debby said...

Oh how WONDERFUL!!!! I can't wait to hear. Congratulations all around!

Becki said...

How wonderful. Looking forward to hearing the birth announcement, Bob!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Names are funny aren't they - how they come in and out of fashion. My name - Pat - seems to have sunk without trace but in the past moonth I have heard of an Ada, an Eva and a Mabel ( spelt Maybelle but sounding the same). John seems to hold its ground in every generation though doesn't it?

Ed said...

Congratulations Bob! I hope to someday see a passel of grandkids before leaving this world but if my kids were anything like me and marry later in life, it might be touch and go.

My line was evenly split between boys and girls until my mom came around and only had two boys. I of course evened things up again by having two girls. Their middle names of my girls are reflective of the two great grandparents of mine that I was around the longest to know.

Kelly said...

How exciting! It will be a big day for all of you tomorrow! I'm glad to know your middle name will be extended one more generation. You may remember my middle name is for one of my uncles.

Jeff said...

Congratulations, Granddad. Exciting times. Enjoy!