Thursday, August 24, 2023

Coast to coast baseball


With grandson Hank at loanDepot Park in Miami

As regular visitors here know, I go on (at least) an annual baseball trip with my sons and son-in-law, working toward visiting every MLB park, a goal set by my son Daniel when he was eight (he's now 37). 

Months ago, we decided on Los Angeles and Dodger Stadium this year. We would leave early the morning of Friday, August 11, see games Friday and Saturday nights, and return Sunday. 

With that trip planned, during a visit home earlier this summer, son David proposed a "bonus" trip to Miami to see the Marlins play at home. He had some flight credit that was "burning a hole in his pocket" and he and I could knock off another park (Daniel had already visited this one). 

I initially resisted, but I glanced at my Southwest Airlines points and saw I had enough for a free flight, so I thought, why not? 

So, two weeks prior to L.A., I flew to Miami. Daniel brought his five-year-old son, Hank, who is OBSESSED with baseball. So, this trip consisted of Daniel, David, Hank and me. I flew down Friday night, saw games Saturday and Sunday afternoons, and flew home Sunday night. Didn't even take a day off work.

I will probably write more about this on my Substack with more detail. I am lucky to have had a coast-to-coast baseball summer. Needless to say, a good time was had by all. 


With my best guys at Dodger Stadium





6 comments:

Ed said...

Although not a baseball fan, I do admire your goal and hope you are able to accomplish it. Those goals that take place over many years, even decades, always seem to be the sweetest to accomplish.

Kelly said...

How nice that the next generation has taken an interesting in baseball, too!

Kelly said...

*Interest. 🙄

Debby said...

That baseball thing? It might just be genetic...

Jeff said...

I like the idea of coast-to-coast ball games. I'm glad you were in LA before the floods! I've been Dodger Stadium, but not Miami.

Bob said...

Yes Jeff, if we had chosen the next weekend, we would have been under water! We had beautiful weather.