Friday, May 12, 2023

Actor and author


 I was lucky enough last night to attend an event in which Tom Hanks spoke about his new book, The Making of Another Motion Picture Masterpiece. 

Although it has been a while, I have written here in the past about the Nashville bookstore Parnassus, whose part owner, Ann Patchett, is a Nashville resident. It is a splendid independent bookstore that has defied the trend of such establishments essentially surrendering to online retailers such as Amazon.

And while the bookselling business thrives, the Parnassus folks also sponsor events such as the one I attended last night, in which well-known authors speak. Over the years I have heard and seen John Grisham, Jon Meacham, David Baldacci, Mitch Albom, Philip Gulley, Louise Penny and others. 

Sometimes the setting is small, inside the store or at the Nashville library, with a capacity of maybe 100. (Some are free and for some there is a cost, which usually includes a copy of the book and often benefits a charitable organization.)

Others, like last night's event with Hanks, take place at larger venues around town. This one was in the gymnasium on the campus of a Nashville private school. There were probably over 1,0000 people there. 

Patchett appeared with Hanks. The two of them sat in chairs and she interviewed him. While the main topic was the book (which is a fictitious account of making a movie, with Hanks drawing on his years of movie-making experience), they also talked about the differences in being an actor and an author. 

While Patchett is only one of those things, Hanks is both. This is his second book. His first, Uncommon Type, is a book of short stories, with the title deriving from his fascination with and love of typewriters. 

Patchett contended that an author's life is largely one of solitude while the book is being written, while the acting gig involves scores of folks involved in the process. 

While Hanks agreed, he contended that it still comes down to a creative person telling a story. 

There was much more, and it was an outstanding evening. Hanks displayed his trademark wit, and except for sitting among all those other people, it was not unlike listening to an old friend. For her part, Ann Patchett was equally enjoyable and did an excellent job interviewing, interjecting just enough of herself into the discussion.  

My ticket included a copy of the book, which will go near the top of my TBR. I have never gotten around to reading Uncommon Type, so that one will go on it too. 

5 comments:

Kelly said...

It sounds like it was a wonderful event! I'm a great fan of Tom Hanks and heard someone talking about his new book just the other day. I look forward to your opinion of it. I listened to his short story collection, but didn't enjoy it very much. The best part was his narration.

Ed said...

It would be quite nice to live somewhere close to a book stop tour. I just recently watched an interview somewhere of Hanks about his book. Although I like Hanks the actor, I'm not sure the book will be my cup of tea. I'll wait for your review first before making a final decision.

Becki said...

I have enjoyed a number of author visits our county library system hosts, but Tom Hanks!!! That would be pretty amazing. I have found him to be such a believable character in every role I've seen him in, he's at the top of my list of really great actors. I think it would be interesting to encounter Tom Hanks, the man. I wonder what my impression of him as himself would be. :)

Jeff said...

I envy such bookstores! I'm glad you had a chance to hear Hanks talk about his book and will wait for your review before I read it :)

Andrew said...

What a cool opportunity!