Thursday, March 5, 2020

It’s here

Well, the first case of corona virus in Tennessee is right here in the county where I live. RIGHT. HERE.

Apparently the guy who has it traveled domestically in the last week. He has self-isolated.

In an abundance of caution, our schools are closed Friday and Monday during which time “deep cleaning” will take place. That’s probably sensible.

Wife and I are trying to be sensible too. We’re taking the precautions like washing our hands often.

If we were younger, we wouldn’t be overly concerned. I don’t know that we’re considered “elderly,” which seem to be the ones hardest hit and about which there is the most concern. But we’re not spring chickens, that’s for sure.

We’re supposed to board a plane to Tampa, Florida a week from Saturday and we’re trying to decide if we should do that or not. I don’t want to be an alarmist, but I also have to consider the risk. There are many unknowns and even though, according to everything I have read and heard, the odds of getting the virus are low, and if one does get it, the likelihood of surviving and recovering are high, I don’t want to take unnecessary risk and be one who gives it to someone else.

I’m pretty bummed about what this is doing to our retirement accounts too. Wife talked to our financial advisor a week ago when the downward spiral began, and he said we should hold tight for now and if we have some extra cash, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to invest in some stocks while they’re on the low side. He’s probably right, but right now I’m more inclined to hoard what cash I have.


3 comments:

Ed said...

Although our state hasn't yet been highlighted, it will in time. I don't think there is anyway it won't be short of Covid-19 catching the common cold and finding it lethal like in a sci-fi movie.

When it does, unfortunately my spouse is on the front lines which puts our family directly in the path. Fortunately, we aren't in the age range or have health conditions that might make it worse. But it still makes me a bit nervous.

I guess mostly what I'm doing is praying for warmer weather and hope that the warm, moist air kills is like the many viruses so that we have some breathing room until a vaccine can be conjured up.

Unfortunately, most of my extra cash went towards a home addition last year so I don't have any to put in the stock market or I would. But I'm a bit further from needing it for full retirement purposes than you are. I am thankful that I did just happen to re-balance my investment accounts right before things went south because I was way over balanced in stocks versus bonds. The bond market has been looking great recently and has slowed the stock losses sustained over the last two weeks.

Kelly said...

Having a stock broker as a brother and a husband who's traded for decades on his own (as have I, to a certain extent), I'm not as worried about the market as other things. Honestly, I'm trying not to "worry" about any of it, but when you have young grandchildren... well, I think you know what I'm talking about, Bob.

Jeff said...

Things are changing so fast with this virus. We sent out two emails from church--one on Thursday with all the plans for a safe Sunday and one on Saturday, essentially begging people to worship via online streaming. Today, we were one of two churches on the island--with a handful of worshipers and a whole lot more people watching us online than in the pews. Stay safe.

www.thepulpitandthepen.com