Friday, December 20, 2019

Impeachment

In the early days of this blog, I wrote a fair amount about politics.

Over time, however, the fire in my belly has subsided considerably. I'm still interested in government and politics, but candidates rarely excite me, and never to the point that I put a bumper sticker on my car or a sign in my yard.

I always vote, and I'm an independent voter. I never registered to vote as a Democrat or Republican. As far as I know, in the two states where I have lived (Arkansas and Tennessee), a voter is not required to name a party affiliation when registering.

You could go back and read some early blog entries and conclude I was a staunch conservative, and maybe at the time I was. I have probably voted for more GOP presidential candidates in my time than Democratic.

But today I am strictly independent. In the last presidential election, I voted for the Libertarian candidate. I was not going to vote for Donald Trump and I couldn't bring myself to vote for Hillary Clinton.

If I had it to over again, I would vote for Hillary. Not because I am a big fan of hers (I'm certainly not), but because I think she would be a decent president. She's smart. She listens. And she's a good dealmaker, like her husband (thought without his charm, which was a contributing factor in her 2016 loss to Trump).

All of that is an aside to the subject at hand, which is the impeachment of one Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States.

He will now be known as the third U.S. president to be impeached, following Andrew Johnson in 1868 and Bill Clinton in 1998. Neither Johnson nor Clinton were removed from office following a Senate trial.

Richard Nixon would almost certainly have been impeached and removed from office in 1974, but he resigned before it went through. He knew what was coming and he decided to avoid the embarrassment of it.

For students of the U.S. Constitution, it's an interesting process. Impeachment is discussed in three different sections of the Constitution. It is stated in Article 3, Section 4 that a president "shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors."

Article 1, Section 2 gives the House of Representatives "sole power of impeachment" and Article 1, Section 3 gives the U.S. Senate authority to oversee the trial portion of the impeachment process, and to decide whether the president is to be removed from office based on the impeachment article(s) passed by the House. It takes a two-thirds majority vote to do so.

The House has now passed two impeachment articles concerning Trump, and a Senate trial will take place early next year.

Because there are not enough Democrats in the Senate to get a two-thirds majority, and not enough Republicans to join them to vote for a conviction, Trump is almost sure be acquitted just as Johnson and Clinton were.

You see, it's all about politics. The Dems have wanted to impeach Trump since the day he took office (or before, really), just as the Republicans wanted to impeach Clinton from the day he was sworn in in 1993.

With a vague term like "high crimes and misdemeanors," which does not bring with it the evidentiary requirements of a typical criminal proceeding, the Republicans were able to get Clinton when he covered up his relationship with Monica Lewinsky and perjured himself. Similarly, the Dems got the goods on Trump due to his "quid quo pro" conversation with the Ukrainian president and purposely stalling the congressional investigation of same.

But in Clinton's case, there were not enough votes in the Senate for a conviction, just at it will be with Trump.

It's interesting that it took well over 100 years for presidential impeachments proceedings to commence after it first happened to Andrew Johnson. Now it's happened twice in my lifetime.

The Democrats' ploy, in my opinion (because they know the Senate will acquit him), is to shame Trump so much that those swing voters who put him in the White House last time will change their minds and keep him from being elected again.

Based on recent history, however, Trump plans to turn this all back on his accusers, allowing as to how they tried to cripple him and keep him from doing his job, and waste a whole lot of time and money in so doing.

How can you not re-elect me, he'll say in not say many words, when you have Bozos like this wanting to run the country?

Less than one year from now, we'll know if the strategy of the Democrats worked, or Trump succeeded in having the last laugh (on Twitter, no doubt).







4 comments:

sage said...

I think that the Democrats lack of standing up to Clinton is coming back to bite them (and all of us), for if they would have removed Clinton (although it wasn't the reason, since he was charged with perjury to cover it up, but anyone today who had sexual relations with someone who reports to them would be fired). But if Clinton had been held to higher standards, it would be easier to impeach this dude.

Ed said...

This would have been the exact piece I would have written about myself if I was as elegantly spoken as you with the exception that if I had a do ever, I still wouldn't vote for Hillary. I would still vote for the Libertarian candidate that I did vote for.

I've been on record with my circle as saying Trump would be impeached but not removed from office. I think I hit that one dead center. So I will go on the record now saying that if re-elected, Trump will be the first president to have been impeached twice.

Bob said...

So Ed you think he’ll be impeached again in his second term???

Ed said...

I do if he gets re-elected. The slope set for this impeachment is very slippery and I think partisan fervor is at a high enough pitch that it could happen again.