Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Winding down

I’m on a train traveling from Lake Como, in Italy, to Salzburg, Austria as I come to the last few days of my time with Wife on her retirement trip.

This is the first time in my entire working career I have taken two consecutive weeks of vacation. Not     bad at all.

It’s been a glorious time in Italy, starting with just the two of us in Cinque Terre, then onto Venice where we met our Arkansas friends, then to Florence, then to a charming B&B in Tuscany (for a welcome change of pace), before the last two days in the town of Varenna on Lake Como. Other than the past couple of days of on-and-off rain, we’ve had splendid weather, with highs in the high 60s to low 70s and lots of sunshine.

We’ve navigated the trains beautifully. It presents some challenges, but with a little patience and persistence (and willingness to ask questions of the locals), it’s doable.

This morning we parted from our friends who are now en route to the Amalfi Coast and Rome. I’ll fly home Sunday, while Wife will continue on to London where she’ll meet up with Younger Son.

More to come! Ciau!

3 comments:

Ed said...

Vacations two weeks long or longer should be mandatory! Shorter and there just isn't enough separation from work.

Kelly said...

Two of my relatives are currently on a Viking Cruise. You might pass in the night somewhere in Austria!

Love the lone photo and looking forward to seeing and hearing more when you get back!

sage said...

I’m with Ed, I do like longer vacations (but then I’ve been blessed with a couple of sabbaticals during my career). Sounds lik you’re having a nice trip.

www.thepulpitandthepen.com