Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Winter 2018

We were due a cold winter here in middle Tennessee. The past two have been really mild. At Christmas 2016 and 2017 we sat outside on the deck!

Not this past Christmas. It was very cold and until just a few days ago when we finally had some relief, it's been that way ever since.

We had a pretty good snow the early part of last week. Monday was the MLK holiday (remember I'm a banker so I get good holidays) and the snow started early Tuesday morning, so Wife and both stayed home that day. Schools around here closed for the rest of the week so, with the holiday, it's like our students got a week-long break.

I enjoy a good snow, so I'm glad we had one this year, and I've always preferred fall and winter over spring and summer. Not a hot weather guy at all, even though I'm a lifelong southerner. But the older I get, the more I find myself not being so crazy about the cold either. And if I had to deal with snow and ice for several months, I know I wouldn't care for it.

I'm not the weather junkie Wife is, but I do amuse myself at times by listening to the weather folks in media get excited about the different weather events. Here's a link to one of my recent columns in which I discussed it a bit:

https://brentwoodhomepage.com/bob-mckinney-what-i-know-326/

3 comments:

Ed said...

You burst my bubble Bob. Up until now, I thought "Bombogenesis" was just some cute name by some east coast weather man for what we mid-westerners refer to as a blizzard, that happened to go viral. Now I will probably be hearing it for ever more along with "polar vortex".

I am reminded of my local weather station that started advertising their new "3-D weather reports" a handful of years back. They would then rotate the standard 2-D radar so that it was a mess of vertical lines and you couldn't see who was going to get what where. I wrote a well written note to the weatherman explaining that sometimes less is more and received a response that frankly I was just old and should get on board with the new technology. I was happy to see that the 3-D part ended after a few months and hasn't been back.

Kelly said...

Add me to the list of weather junkies. It was inevitable, thanks to the younger of my two brothers (who missed his true calling in life).

Much like the NWS folks, I'm not a fan of naming every storm out there. Please, just hurricanes (and I kind of liked it when they were all females).

I don't mind a little cold weather, but I've definitely had my fill already this year - yet they're saying there's more to come the first part of February. Brrr!

sage said...

I miss having snow on the ground most of winter! But not sure i’d Want to shovel it like I did 20 years ago.