Sunday, August 4, 2024

Some thoughts on the current political environment

I don't write much in this space about politics. I leave that for my Substack pieces, and even there I do it sparingly. 

People get riled up over the subject. I know when I offer an opinion, I run the risk of alienating or offending someone, even though that is not my intention. 

During the years I wrote my local column, there was a reader who just could not deal with my occasional opinions, which almost always differed from his. He called me a jerk. He said I was aligned with Chinese Communists. He told me he could not believe I had the nerve to write the things I wrote. Angry, he was. 

I responded to most of his emails (except when he called me a jerk; I don't believe name-calling is worthy of a response), thanking him for his thoughts and for taking the time to write. 

I think it blew him away that I responded in a polite manner. Over time, he even complimented me on a couple of things. 

When I started my Substack in October 2022, he was an early subscriber. I couldn't believe it. I was pleased because I thought he and I had made some headway in the area of civil discourse. 

Alas, the first time I offered an opinion on something political (this time a local issue), although he did not send a nasty email (I guess that is some progress), he removed his name from my subscriber list. Obviously, he didn't agree with what I had written and was not open to reading an opinion that opposed his. 

I learned from that experience how important it is to be informed and specifically to be informed from different points of view. In dealing with this guy, I remembered times from years ago when I was too much like him. I wanted to speak my mind, but I did not want to listen. It is not an attractive character trait, and I hope I did not offend people back then. But I probably did. 

So, as this election season begins to get going, I will put myself out there and tell you the following: 

I would describe myself as a right-leaning moderate. Over the years I have probably voted Republican more than Democrat (and my moderation has happened over time), but I am fiercely independent. I am not affiliated with either major political party. I don't look for that to change. 

In 2016 I voted Libertarian. In 2020, regretting my 2016 vote, I voted for Joe Biden. In November, assuming she is the Democratic nominee, I will vote for Kamala Harris. 

Biden and Harris both lean more to the left than I, but for many reasons, I am a Never Trumper.  I have never voted for him, and I never will. 

I believe Joe Biden has done a decent job as president, but I think he made the right decision dropping out of the presidential race. My more right-leaning friends believe the Dems and the media somehow  "covered up" his cognitive decline, but I don't buy that. It was there for all of us to see and, until the infamous debate on June 27th, I think Biden's Democratic brethren still believed he would be the best person to go up against Trump. 

But then the debate happened. Biden had to go. 

Again, Kamala is more progressive than I would prefer. My vote for her, like my vote for Biden in 2020, will not be an enthusiastic one. But by all indications she is a smart, prudent person and, in my view, the more capable of the two presidential candidates. 

You may call me a Pollyanna if you wish, but I still have enough confidence in our system of checks and balances to believe Congress can keep a president in check when he/she tends to get too focused in a particular direction. 

With Tennessee being a predominantly red state, my vote will not make a lot of difference. But I will cast it anyway. 

I do not have a gut feeling about the outcome of the election. I am afraid it will get nastier as we move toward November. 

I think it is going to be close. There just does not appear to be much Trump can do (e.g. encourage insurrection, continue to falsely claim the 2020 election results are bogus, become a convicted felon) to dissuade his followers. I have friends who look past his character flaws and will vote for him because they believe he aligns with their views on the issues. 

Kamala Harris's nomination is interesting from a historical perspective. She likely would never have been the Democratic nominee outside the current circumstance of Biden stepping down and her ascending because of her position as vice president. 

Remember, she offered herself as a candidate in the 2020 primaries, even standing on the debate stage with Biden as an opponent. She was not a strong candidate at that time. 

But with her already being the VP, it made sense to now make her the nominee. 

There are those who believe a more formal nominating process should have taken place. There were some cries for, at the very least, a "mini-primary" or letting it go to the convention for debate. 

In some ways, it seems that would have been a fairer process, but of course the main objective is to defeat Trump. With all the infrastructure in place with the former Biden-Harris ticket, it made sense for her to take it and get the campaign started rather than wait until the convention. 

I have friends from both sides who are fretting over all of this. They worry the world as we know it will not be the same if (choose your candidate) is not elected. One of the candidates even says that. 

But I have been around a long time, and I have witnessed a few presidents come and go. I have told you how I will vote, but when I awake the morning after the election (or, if it's a razor-thin margin, once the votes are finally tabulated), I have it on pretty good authority (based on precedent) the sun will rise in the east and life will go on. 

Believe me, I don't relish another Trump presidency but if that's what happens, it's what happens. I can live through it. 

Happy to discuss this with anyone, so long as we remain calm. 






7 comments:

Ed said...

Up until recently, I was convinced I was going to vote third party yet again but these last few days of listening to Trump talk about VP Harris's race makes me think of your example of resorting to name calling. So for the first time since Bill Clinton, I'm thinking about voting for one of the two major parties by voting for VP Harris. Like you, I have faith that Congress will keep her in check and typically second term elections, if you can call this one, swings to the opposing party for power in Congress.

I haven't yet made up my mind completely though. I would like to hear her talk about something other than abortion rights. I typically side with the Democrats for environmental policies so I would like to hear what she would like to do along those lines. God forbid, former President Trump wins, I'm not sure I'll be terribly bummed. While I dislike his character immensely, I'm not worried about him becoming a dictator and I have felt favorably towards some of his policies when it comes to immigration, trade balance and others.

It shall be another interesting election and I plan on staying up awhile on election night with a bowl of popcorn and listen to the handwringing going on from the losing party.

Kelly said...

In 65+ years of know you, Bob, I cannot think of a single time I would have called you a jerk! Actually, the idea of it makes me laugh. 😂

I'm currently undecided as to what I'll do in November. I can tell you, though, that I won't vote for Trump.

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...

I'm not sure what happened to my original comment, but its disappearance made my second unnecessary. Anyway..... You're no jerk, Bob, and never have been.

Debby said...

What makes me very uncertain about democracy surviving another trump presidency is the number of enablers who came out during his last presidency. In my opinion the checks and balances simply evaporated as people aligned themselves with power. His friendships (and unrecorded phone conversations) with axis leaders is disturbing, and i will not forget the Russian overthrow of Syria. He is a very dangerous man in my opinion.

Jeff said...

I agree with Kelly, you're no jerk. But then, we live in strange times where even being civil can classify one as a jerk. I wish the debates were done with regular high school debating rules. Any fallacies in arguments pointed out by the other side would result in lower scores, which would really reduce the name calling, etc.

I was lukewarm on Harris at first, but have warmed up to her. She seems to be more viable as a candidate than she was in the 2020 primaries.

Bone said...

I tend to lean towards the candidate who I feel will accept the results of an election and contribute to a peaceful transfer of power. Seems like a low bar, but here we are.

I figure neither side is all that concerned about me or anyone I know, but the book banning, taking away of individual rights, limiting what can be taught in schools to only what you believe, etc. seems like a slippery, dangerous slope. I hope I will always vote against those things.

When I was (much) younger, who you voted for was a private decision. You didn't talk about it. It was kinda nice.