Friday, August 30, 2024

Good reading, good writing

I have mentioned in the past an excellent independent bookstore near me called Parnassus. 

It is co-owned by Nashville author Ann Patchett. In addition to having a selection of books that makes readers like yours truly salivate, there are frequent programs and events that feature authors. In the past I have seen and heard John Grisham, David Baldacci, Mitch Albom and Tom Hanks, to name a few. 

Sometimes it is a paid event (such as the one with Tom Hanks) that includes a book, but many times it's free, like the one I attended last night that featured authors William Kent Krueger and Marc Cameron. 

Krueger is a favorite of mine. His "bread and butter" has been the Cork O'Connor mystery series, all set in his home state of Minnesota. But he has also written several standalones, including one of my all-time favorites, Ordinary Grace. He just wrote number twenty in the O'Connor series, which stresses me out because I have only read three and I don't know when I will get to the rest of them. 

As an aside, that's what series books do to me. Because of my mild anal-retentiveness, I will only read them in order. And with so many books on my TBR, I am reluctant to stop everything and catch up on the series. I am about six behind on The No. One Ladies Detective Agency and have only read half of Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series. 

Others include Greg Iles's Penn Cage series; Lee Child's Jack Reacher and Donna Leon's Commissario Brunetti. I have to resign myself to the fact it is not likely I will ever read all of these in my lifetime. 

But I digress. 

Last night, as usual with these programs, was delightful. Krueger is an engaging speaker, and I loved hearing him talk about the evolution of the O'Connor series and how his standalones have come from his heart. 

I had never heard of the other author, Marc Cameron, a former U.S. Marshall who penned the Jack Ryan series that was part of the Clancy universe. He has numerous other works under his belt, including (incorporating the writing maxim, "write what you know") a series about a U.S. Marshall. I could get pretty stressed thinking I need to get started on this too. 

During Q and A, the authors were asked about plot and character development. Both said they have a good idea where the story is going as they write, but also said characters will often reveal themselves to them as the story progresses. 

Fascinating stuff. I left wondering about that novel I have thought for many years lies within me. 

Authors William Kent Krueger (left) and Marc Cameron (right) speaking at Parnassus Bookstore, Nashville


4 comments:

Kelly said...

I would love to have a bookstore like this in my area and I bet this was a wonderful program!

I think most modern series (as opposed to Agatha Christie novels, etc) really need to be read in order. There are often character developments and ongoing subplots that only make sense that way.

I'm thinking of making one of my goals next year to catch back up with a few of the series in which I'm only a few books behind. We'll see if that pans out.

Debby said...

What a great concept for a store!

Let me know when your novel comes out!

Ed said...

Like Kelly, I would love to have such a bookstore reasonably close to me but don't.

I don't have problems with reading series books as there aren't a lot of them in the non-fiction world. The closest I can relate is my ongoing project to read a biography about every U.S. president. I made it to Tyler maybe 20 years ago and then stalled out. I have a book on Lincoln that someone gifted me but I have never read it because I have been trying to read them in order.

Jeff said...

The downside to retreating to the mountains is the lack of close independent bookstores. Savannah had two and both sponsored regular authors, in addition to the Savannah Book Festival. There were also a number in West Michigan, when I lived there.