Monday, January 21, 2019

2018 fiction

As I stated when I posted my list of favorite non-fiction books, I read much more non-fiction than fiction in 2018. However, as I look back over the fiction I read, I realize I liked each book -- some better than others, of course, but I liked all of them to some degree. Here are my favorites:

Crazy Rich Asians by Michael Kwan. This is a hilarious story of an Asian American woman who travels to Singapore, the home of her fiancé, where she learns he comes from a wealthy family -- wealthy beyond what she ever imagined. I watched the movie recently and it's also very good, although, as so often is the case, not as good as the book.

To Be Where You Are by Jan Karon. More of Mitford and Father Tim. I've read and loved all of them and this one was no exception. Karon is getting up in years and I'll be sad when she stops writing these.

A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny. This is number 2 in the Inspector Gamache series and I'm looking forward to reading the rest. Wife and I heard this author speak not long ago and she was great.

The Great Alone by Kristen Hannah. The story of two women enduring abuse, and enduring brutal Alaskan winters. I found the story compelling and I also learned a lot about Alaska.

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. I seem to always end up with one of Hornby's on my list. Four strangers come together in an unlikely way, as they all consider suicide. Somehow Hornby makes it funny, and not in an offensive way, and also makes it poignant. He's edgy, but he's an artful writer, and I'm never disappointed.

The House of Unexpected Sisters by Alexander McCall Smith. This is number 18 (!) in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. As a rule, I don't purchase new books. I generally check them out from the library or buy them used at a book sale. This series is an exception. I think I have all of them in hardback and I believe No. 19 has just been released. I'm nuts over these characters and stories and I've enjoyed each book in the series. 

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. This dark novel tells the story of a mixed-race Chinese-American family dealing with the death of a child. Like Ng's first book, Everything I Never Told You, this is brilliantly written and grabbed me from the beginning.

The Big Rock Candy Mountain by Wallace Stegner. I read Crossing to Safety and Angle of Repose, two others by Stegner that are probably his best known, years back. I don't know why it took me so long to get to this one, but I'm so glad I did. Written in 1943, this is semi-autobiographical for Stegner, tracing the life of a 20th century family over three decades, the head of which continually seeks financial fortune and the next best thing. Like the other two referenced, there are depressing elements, but the writing is masterful -- as one would expect from Stegner.

I've started 2019 in the way of 2018, with two non-fictions under my belt and a couple more in line. I'm sure I'll need to escape into some good fiction soon. Let me know if you have any recommendations for me. Happy reading, everyone! 











3 comments:

Ed said...

Although I don't read fiction except for a few rare exceptions, I have seen the movie Crazy Rich Asians and enjoyed it. Someday I do want to read Big Rock Candy Mountain by Stegner just because I've heard it referenced enough to know that it is a classic.

Kelly said...

This post was worth waiting for!

You know I totally agree with you about both McCall Smith's books and Jan Karon's. I have the latter sitting on my shelf and hope to get to it very soon. As for the McCall Smith books... I collect them in softcover. While I've read the one you mentioned here (and loved!), I'll have awhile to wait for the next.

We read the first in the Louise Penny books for bookclub awhile back and I have the second waiting in my Kindle. The first reminded me of my much-loved Commissario Brunetti series by Donna Leon that is set in Venice. I hope to get to all of these eventually. (you should consider Leon's book... in order, of course)

I've heard mixed reviews of Little Fires Everywhere, but based on what you've said here, I might give it a closer look.

The Great Alone wore me out and made me angry, so I'm afraid I wasn't as enamored with it as so many others. We read it for bookclub, but I already had it in my TBR based on a relative's recommendation.

The Big Rock Candy Mountain is another we read for book club. Again, it wore me out and depressed me. (so, not a fan...) I've had Angle of Repose on my shelf for ages, but now can't bring myself to attempt it. There are just too many other books there that I feel I'd enjoy more.

Overall, it appears you had a good year reading, both fiction and non-fiction!

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

The only one I've read is The Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. I am a big fan and have read most of his books.
I hadn't realized Crazy Rich Asians was a book until the movie came out. It sounds like the book is a fun read. I have read any by Stegner, but your review has me intrigued.