Friday, November 27, 2020

COVID hits home

So much going on right now, folks, that I hardly know where to start. Two weeks ago, my wife lost her dad. It was not unexpected. He was 92 and his condition had deteriorated for the 30 days before he died — dementia, dehydration, extreme fatigue and a host of other maladies. He was worn out.

The day before he died, as he was about to transition to Hospice, he tested positive for COVID. That’s where the nightmare begins. My wife and her mother had been with him in the immediately preceding days. 

Wife came home from Little Rock to quarantine and I left town, splitting my time between my son in Atlanta and my daughter in Huntsville.

Both Wife and her mother eventually tested positive.

Wife has been mostly asymptomatic but her mother did not fare as well. She began to have trouble breathing and was taken by ambulance to a hospital in Little Rock last Saturday. Last night she passed away.

There is very much I’m not saying here, but let me say this: COVID is real. It expedited the death of my father-in-law and it took the life of my mother-in-law. While my father-in-law was already ill, my mother-in-law was still healthy and vibrant. Now she’s gone.

My wife, on the heels of this illness herself, must now deal with losing both her parents in two weeks’ time.

I’m not blaming anyone. Life’s not easy and I get that.

But for god’s sake is it too much to ask to wear a mask, keep safe distances and fanatically wash your hands? We’re just about to have a vaccine and in the next year, maybe even sooner, life should start returning to some sense of normal.

Surely we can hang on and do our part until that time comes. Can’t we?

10 comments:

Debby said...

Bob, this made me cry. I think it is important, and I'm posting a link to my blog. My condolences to you and to Susan once again.

Kelly said...

My heart is breaking for all of you right now.

JayCee said...

I am so sorry to read this. It shows how truly deadly this virus can be and how dangerous to be too complacent, as so many people are.
I despair at some people's selfishness in not taking precautions and thereby putting the vulnerable at such considerable risk.
I hope that your wife makes a full and speedy recovery.

Jeff said...

Bob, this is so sad. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Ed said...

My deepest condolences for your family. I will continue to keep all in my prayers.

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Very sorry to hear that Bob. A very good reminder that it is, indeed, a real thing.

Hal Johnson said...

Bob, it occurred to me today that I haven't looked at my blog in a long while, and thus hadn't looked at the blogs of friends in a long while.

I'm so sorry to learn of the passing of your father-in-law and mother-in-law. I hope your wife gets past COVID with no lasting symptoms.

God bless your family.

Bob said...

Hal! Great to hear from you! Hope you’ll start writing on your blog again. Thanks for your good wishes.

KAYTHEGARDENER said...

Sorry to hear that you & your wife lost 2 family members in such a short time!!
My condolences & healing thoughts for you both... KMC

Haddock said...

This is terrible. Like you said, is it too much to ask to wear a mask.