Sunday, December 29, 2019

2019 reading: non-fiction

Of the 37 books I read in 2019, 14 were non-fiction.

Rather than review my favorites, as I have done in the past, I'm going to tell you about all the non-fiction books. Although there were some I liked better than others, and a couple that definitely rise to top as I survey them, it's too difficult to pick favorites this year.

For no particular reason than they came my way or piqued my interest, the majority of non-fiction I read this year was in the spiritual genre. I'm not going to separate them from the others in my narrative, but you'll definitely notice it.

I started the year with "Thirst," a superb autobiographical account of Scott Harrison's spiritual journey and his transformation from a fast-living nightclub promoter to the founder of one of the world's most successful non-profits that works to provide clean water to impoverished areas around the world. I was so taken with this one I gave a copy to all of my immediate family members last Christmas.

I continued with David Sedaris, who I discovered in 2018, this time with "Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls."

Although some of my more conservative believer friends might raise their eyebrows, after reading and hearing quotes from him for years, I read three by Father Richard Rohr this year: "Immortal Diamond," "Falling Upward" and "What the Mystics Know." I have become a big fan, and I'll read more of his.

Renowned theologian Henri Nouwen is another I have heard quoted but have never read one of his books. I chose "Making All Things New" in which he explores the age-old theme of Christ's regenerative power in us. This one is heavy, and worth the effort.

Two unconventional Christian women provided some great reading for me this year. Nadia Boltz-Weber's "Pastrix" has some similarities to "Thirst," in that she describes her faith journey as she morphs from a stand-up to comic to a pastor, but it's largely the story of a ragtag congregation, much like her, she ends of leading. She reminded me some of Anne Lamott, though even edgier. Weber's story is not for the faint of heart. But if you read with an open mind and the conviction that God's grace is bigger than you can ever imagine, you'll find nuggets of beauty.

Similarly, River Jordan (yes that's really her name), a Nashville author, describes her own winding pilgrimage in "Confessions of a Christian Mystic." With humor and poignancy, she gave me much to think about.

I heard Kate Bowler, a professor at Duke Divinity School, as a guest on a podcast I frequent. Her "Everything Happens for a Reason (and Other Lies I've Loved)" is the story of her cancer diagnosis. The title comes from one of the many platitudes she heard from well-meaning people as she struggled to come to terms with dealing with this horrible disease and thinking about the possibility of leaving her husband and young daughter behind.

"Twelve Patients," by Eric Manheimer, is the inspiration of the NBC television show, "New Amsterdam." Manheimer was medical director at New York's Bellevue Hospital for 13 years, and his narratives of 12 different patients he comes to know give a glimpse into his thoughts on the health care system. I watched season one of "New Amsterdam," but for various reasons have not returned and probably will not. I put "Twelve Patients" in my Kindle library queue when I was watching the TV show and when it finally came up, long after I had finished watching the show, I decided to try it. I'm really glad I did, and it's better than the show.

This one even surprised me when I decided to read it, but when I heard Kathi Lee Gifford (who now lives just a few miles from me) describe her many trips to Israel, and the book she wrote about it -- "The Rock, the Road and the Rabbi" -- I was intrigued. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. I have many friends who have made the Holy Land trip, and many who plan to. I have never had a lot of interest in going. But hearing from those who have gone, and reading this book, is slowly changing that.

(Although I'm not picking favorites, the next three were a cut above the rest).

"Maybe You Should Talk to Someone" is therapist Lori Gotlieb's account of how she became a therapist; her description of some case studies from her practice; and her own experience of going to therapy. Humorous and poignant, it almost made me cross the line and go for counseling myself. I loved this.

Scott Newport's "Digital Minimalism" is, in my opinion, a must-read for all of us who love the convenience and efficiency the computer age has brought us, but want to keep it in check. Even if you don't care about that, read this book for some of the fascinating facts and statistics. I can't do it justice here and if I could make you read two books from my non-fiction reading this year, it would be this one and the next.

"The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning is perhaps the most beautiful narrative about grace I have ever read. Manning, who died in 2013, was a Franciscan priest. He was also an alcoholic. He also struggled coming to terms with how God could love him. This one blew me away, folks.

***********
I hope you found something you might also enjoy here. As always, I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts and, of course, your own recommendations. I'll soon be back with my thoughts on fiction I read this year.





5 comments:

Kelly said...

I love your year-end reading posts, Bob, and I'm glad you included all your non-fiction for us this time. (yes, it's always hard to pick favorites!)

I enjoy Rohr and Nouwen, but have not read the selections you've listed. I hope to get to more from both in the future.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Twelve Patients. I have it on my library list, so maybe I'll get to it in the coming year.

I've taken you at your word and added The Ragamuffin Gospel to my library list (I've heard so many good things about it!) and will see if I can track down Digital Minimalism, as well.

Looking forward to your fiction post! Heads up... I will have a "decade of reading" post in January. ;)

Ed said...

I've been trying to keep my need-to-read pile under control but this list isn't helping me! Looks like quite a number of good books I would like to read.

Debby said...

I'm wandering through "A Strangeness in My Mind" by Orhan Pamuk. Such a rich and lovely book. So far, anyway.

Andrew said...

Love Rohr and Sedaris! Happy New Year!

sage said...

Great readings. I have read some Rohr and a lot of Nouwen, but none of the ones you've read this year! I think you read more "religious" books than I did this year! I read 49 books--17 could be classified as religious with 37 as non-fiction.

www.thepulpitandthepen.com