Monday, September 16, 2019

Pretty warm around here

I don't begin to understand all the ins and outs of global warming. Because I'm a middle of the road kind of guy, I tend to believe -- and I guess I want to believe -- that the extremists are way too extreme about it, but those who deny it exists are burying their heads in the sand.

Things on the earth change, including climate. Is that 100 percent caused by humans and their negligence? I don't think so, but we certainly play a part in it (in my opinion).

It's kind of like my house. It's about 35 years old. Although we perform routine maintenance, it's never going to be the same as it was 35 years ago. On the other hand, it's incumbent upon us to take care of it because we live in it, it's a huge investment and, well, we don't want to live in a house that's falling apart.

I know I am way oversimplifying it, but that's my thought today. We don't have the same planet God created in the very beginning because everything ages. We can't do anything about that. But we do, I believe, have a responsibility to maintain it just as we do our house. I believe God entrusted this planet to us.

Does that make me a raging liberal or a right-wing nut? I don't think so. It's just my thought for the day. Remember, middle of the road.

**************************

And global warming or not, September, which is supposed to be the month we begin to feel a nip in the air and anticipate cooler weather, has been a scorcher here in Middle Tennessee. We've been breaking records, flirting with 100 degrees many days. I can't see autumn, or autumn weather, on the horizon.

I've whined about heat before on this blog and I'm sure I'll do it again. And I really don't like the heat in a month when I think I'm supposed to be feeling cooler.



6 comments:

Kelly said...

I could have written this post as far as content, Bob. ;)

Debby said...

Out beyond ideas of right doing and wrong doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there. ~ Rumi. Sometimes, it seems to me a blessed relief to step beyond...or in your case, the middle of the road. We're having a warm up this week too.

Ed said...

You echo my thoughts as well. Environmental issues are the big reason I consider myself a centrist when it comes to politics. I consider myself a fiscally conservative environmentalist, however none of the political parties cater to someone like me.

sage said...

It has been very hot here the last few days and the humidity continues, which normally drops during the fall. When I moved here, people bragged of only having been evacuated once in 25 years. In the five years I’ve been here, we’ve been evacuated 3x! Something changing and I agree with you. While the human race may not be fully to blame, we may be partly. As for those of us on the coastline, send snorkels ;).

BrightenedBoy said...

The United States is the only nation in the world where this is a debate. At all. One side happens to be right here, and the other (much, much smaller) side happens to be wrong and happens to have powerful economic incentives for staying wrong. Admitting that doesn't make you an extremist! We really need to start listening to experts again in this country. Moving away from that has led to all sorts of nasty problems.

Debby said...

We had our first frost here Saturday morning.