Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Early Autumn?

Wow, it's been hot this summer here in Middle Tennessee. And lately it's been very, very dry. 

We don't water here in the 'burb where I live. It's too expensive. We all kind of have this unwritten agreement that, if it doesn't rain, we'll just let our yards turn temporarily brown.  We know it will rain again sometime and the green will come back but when we go through a dry spell, the yard's just going to turn brown.  We'll water plants, but the grass suffers.

Our most recent dry spell has ended with a vengeance.  We have gotten some of that wind and rain from the Tropical Depression Lee.  Over the holiday weekend the rain came in and temperatures plunged into the 50s at night, if you can believe that. 

It won't last but we're thankful for the wet stuff (although we've about had enough) and especially the relief from the heat.

Daughter has observed -- and I agree -- that people are getting a little ridiculous, talking about "how cold" it is, wearing jackets, etc.  I think folks just look forward to the change of seasons and hurry it along any way they can.

_______________________________________________

We went to the first Auburn game over the weekend.  They narrowly escaped defeat to Utah State. That's not a good sign of things to come.  Oh well, you can't be on top every year.

Game time was 11 a.m. I detest the early kickoffs but of course it's all about TV and the money a school can make from that. Anyway, I knew it would be unbearably hot and I had no intention of sitting out there for the entire game. 

As it turned out, there was a very stiff breeze (courtesy, I believe, of the aforementioned tropical depression) which made it entirely tolerable. I went down and took a break at half-time but other than that, I stayed right with it. 

Got to spend just a little time with Younger Son.  He seems to have adapted well to college life.  Miss him terribly.

________________________________________________

We spent the remainder of the holiday weekend at our friends' lakehouse in North Alabama. It's become an annual Labor Day Weekend tradition.  This year it was a complete washout with the weather.  The wet and wind from the tropical depression followed us north and hardly let up from the time we arrived Saturday night until we left on Monday.

We had a brief break late Saturday afternoon and had a very pleasant time sitting out on the dock for a couple of hours before the rain once again started.

We still had a great time with great friends.  Lots of good food, fellowship and rousing games kept us occupied and entertained. 

_______________________________________________

We will have warm weather again, you can count on it. Still, this past weekend always marks the unofficial end to summer and a gradual beginning of a change of season. 

And as that season changes, Wife and I are gradually adjusting to a new way of life.  Daughter is here with us (and we are so glad) but she's an adult (she calls us her roommates), and we try to remember that.  (Sorry, Sweetie, but these things take time).

We will soon see Older Son and DIL off on their new adventure and we are preparing ourselves for that.

And today I just happened to notice that my last blog entry was my 200th.  I appreciate all of you who have come along for these mid-life thoughts.  (When do I have to call it late mid-life?) 

We'll see what happens with 200 more. 

4 comments:

quid said...

Bob.

There is no "late mid-life". Huzzah!

A good post...wish I could send on a little of the rain we've had every day for the last 11 weeks.

Not complaining, mind you. Just saying.

Kelly said...

Well, I wish you and Quid could both share a little of that rain with my sister and me. I think we might have gotten 3/10" out of Lee, but that was dried up immediately by the gusting winds. It IS cooler, though, and that's nice for a change.

I still remember when my daughter pointed out to me that I was middle age. She told me to double my current age and think about it. Ha! At least back then the doubled age was still one I could reasonably be alive! Now? Not so likely.

Debby said...

Congratulations on the 200th post. I've enjoyed pondering with you, peeking in on your family as they celebrate and grow.

Quid is right. There is no late midlife. However, sccording to my books, there is an early old (65-75) and there is a mid old (75-85) and there is an old old. (85+) We've got time. We've got loooooots of time.

Pencil Writer said...

I had to laugh at your "displeasure" with those who were beginning to feel the need for coats when the temps dropped. I have to say, *sorry* I was one of those. I guess the perspective is: when you've had 105 degrees or more (with the heat index and all) that 70 is a 35 degree drop and it feels cold!!! AND, the reverse: if you've been dealing with forty degrees as highs and suddenly find yourself suddenly in 70 degree weather, you begin to sweat. Just sayin', it's all relative. But I'm with the crowd that is very grateful for the change in temps and the moisture we finally received! I'm sure it will change again. :-)