Sunday, July 25, 2010

End of the weekend

It's the end of the weekend. It's been another scorcher here with the mercury hovering around 100 degrees. The "heat index" which, apparently, is the summer equivalant of winter's "wind chill factor" -- i.e. "the temperature is this, but really feels like this" -- is supposedly in the low 100s or so. It's just not fit to be outside.

So, to avoid outside activity, Wife and I went to see "Toy Story 3" this afternoon. That's right, we went to see a Disney animated movie, Rated G, and we laughed and cried. Wife had already seen it and told me to trust her, that I would love it. And she was right.

Typical of Disney, the humor, though clean as a whistle, likely went over the heads of most of the youngsters in the audience. The laughter came from the parents and/or the older ones in the audience like us.

If you haven't seen it, get yourself to the theater ASAP, or when it comes out on video, make sure you watch it. It's one of the best I've seen in a long time.

***************************************************

Younger Son is back in the fold now. He was "numb" for a couple of days as he re-programmed himself for home life vs. camp life, but his buddies have helped him to re-acclimate to things. We're awfully glad to have him home.

He starts two-a-days for football tomorrow, if you can believe that. With a school start-date of August 12 and the first football game scheduled for August 21, things get rolling early around here. This is the earliest start date he has had for full-pads practice. The state athletic association apparently decided the players needed a little more time getting used to the heat before the season actually starts. Not sure how I feel about that but nobody asked me, if you can believe that!

****************************************************
My blogger friend Bob has really been on a roll lately, but today's post about cell phone usage is one of his finest. He expresses many of my own sentiments towards these dastardly-but-seemingly-necessary machines, so I would commend his latest entry for your reading. Bob says he's taking the drastic step of disassociating with people who are more into their cell phones than their dinner companions. To that, I say, "Bravo!"

6 comments:

Kelly said...

I loved the first Toy Story. Never got around to watching the second, but heard it was really good, too. I'll try to make a point of seeing the third.

Did watch Bolt not long ago and love it!

Redlefty said...

Toy Story 3 terrified my 5yo son and my 5yo nephew when I took them during our vacation earlier this month. Oops!

But I have to admit I cried at the end.

quid said...

I'm a big Toy Story fan... will have to go. Two a days.... seems like too much to me. But I guess they have to get in shape.

Loved Bob's rant on cellphone usage. We have truly become a rude society.

quid

Bob Barbanes: said...

My boss is as excited as a kid on Christmas Eve as he counts down the dwindling days until the start of the college football season. In fact, Thursday I am taking him up to Tuscaloosa so he can finish decorating the private box from which he'll be watching the Alabama games this year. I'll tell ya, if it doesn't start cooling down soon, those first few games are going to be HOT! But...no one asked me either.

Oh, and thanks for the plug! I do rant "a bit," don't I? Especially about cellphones. I do wonder where it will lead? Because I don't see our fascination with them lessening. Just the opposite. With the internet at your fingertips, I see these mobile devices becoming even a larger part of our lives.

We'll see if I change my tune after I get *my* first iPhone or Droid.

Steve H. said...

I admit it too...I cried to the point where it was embarressing.

Debby said...

I loved Toy Story 3. And, yep. Bawled my head off.