Friday, February 26, 2010

First Rugby Game

We are still COLD here in Middle Tennessee and I am getting increasingly whiney about it. I mean Monday is March 1 and really, I should be at least thinking about wearing shorts by now. But with night-time lows in the low twenties and highs during the day just barely making it to 40 . . . sorry, all of you who are more accustomed to all of this, but I am tired of being cold. I'll be sure to come back and read this during summer when I'm complaining about the heat.

In the midst of these frigid temperatures I attended my first rugby game tonight. That's right, rugby. At Younger Son's school it is a "club" sport which means it's a team that has the name of his school but it's not subsidized and they don't play on the school grounds. Younger Son is playing this year.

So at 5:30 this afternoon Wife and I, along with Older Son and his girlfriend, bundled up and went to watch the first game.

I have much to learn. In my feeble mind, I had this idea it was just football without pads. Not at all. It's played on a similar type field and each team defends and runs toward an end zone, but the ball's in constant motion. If the guy with the ball gets tackled, he can hand it off to one of his teammates. But a guy from the other team can pick it up and run with it too, which makes it kind of like soccer.

But like I said, I have a lot to learn. Younger Son played the entire game and seemed to enjoy himself. He's a "prop" which means, in addition to running all over the place with everyone else, at points during the game he and another "prop" face each other and lift one of their teammates up in the air, kind of like a cheerleader formation (don't tell him that's how I described it) while two props from the other team are right next to them lifting one of their guys at the same time. Then it's kind of a "jump ball" situation.

It's really wild, but fun, and Younger Son's team won. I won't even try to explain the scoring because I don't understand it myself.

I look forward to learning more about rugby and I really look forward to warmer games.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

This sounds really interesting! Doesn't Andy Capp (in the comics) play rugby?? I know he plays soccer, but I'm thinking he does both.

I'm with you on the cold and you've had more of it than I have. I'm ready for Spring!

Bob Barbanes: said...

...And what father wouldn't be proud of his son running around and acting like a...well...(ahem) cheerleader? Rugby must be a European thing, innit? Well they are much more "progressive" over there.

Joking, joking. It's great, man. Any physical activity for kids that involves using more muscles than just those in their two thumbs is terrific.

But I agree, let's hope the future games are in warmer weather.

Hal Johnson said...

My hat's off to dudes who face getting tackled without pads, but yeah, I don't understand it either.
And I'm with ya on the cold: one consulation about leaving my family in winter to go to work has always been the promise that I could walk around in south Louisiana in shirt sleeves. Sheesh, not this winter.

Debby said...

You know, at this point, the actual temperature has ceased to matter, really. We're all just about sick of the cold. Except for Alaska, where people are complaining about their warm winter. To quote the cowardly Lion, "Mighty peculiar weather we're having, ain't it?"

Redlefty said...

I don't have a clue about rugby, but the professional-level guys are absolute beasts. I respect any sport that favors such a high level of athleticism.

Pam said...

I don't know jack about rugby either. Sounds interesting, however.

As much as I love snow and cold, I'm beginning to look forward to warmer weather and sunshine!

quid said...

What I remember about rugby from New England is that it can be brutal.. more so than football. Don't know if that is right, but keep an eye on him, dad!